Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I love Pday! Call me trunky, but there is nothing better than to hear news from a far off land, from a family that I love so much!!

Speaking of trunky, the airplanes haven't stopped passing overhead... haha

BUT this week was full of miracles. I was able to have my testimony strengthened of the Spirit and of the atonement when we went to the humble rented house of an investigator, who proceeded to tell us all about how he had lost his job, his family, and everything he had, how he had nowhere to turn and no idea what to do. I said that I understood how he felt, but then realized that I really didn't understand, and that I probably never would. And I realized that I didn't know what to say, I was lost in that moment. Idk about my comp, but he looked pretty lost too. Then I just felt the need to teach about the Atonement, and how Christ knows these feelings and DOES understand. We met quite a few people this week that just needed to be lifted and shown the love of God, and it was our privilege to be His hands in these moments.

God also greatly blessed us. On Saturday night, after having everything fallen through, we decided, instead of going home a little early, to keep on knocking doors. And 10 minutes before the curfew we met a man who, it turned out, was pretty shaken up because of the very recent death of his brother. We talked with him, and he ended up going to church and loved it!

I have learned a lot this week about trust in the Lord. Trust that He will guide and protect us, trust that he knows us and sees and watches over us in every moment. I am learning to trust him more, to not doubt. It is really hard! But then again, without doubt there can be no faith.

It was a great week! Thank you for your prayers and love, oftentimes I can even feel their effect during my days!

Much love,

Elder Nick Olsen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And it came to pass that the second full week in Linhares came to an end.

This week we had zone meeting, which was surprisingly not scary! I always thought that I would die if I had to get up in front of a bunch of missionaries and train them, but it was totally fine. I think I didn't have any problems because I know each of the missionaries personally, and also because our zone is super small. We talked about marking baptismal dates and having a good attitude. And we had a budget for lunch, so to switch things up we got pizza! It was actually really fun to plan and execute.

Then I went on splits with one of the assistants, Elder Perez. He got to Brasil at the same time as me, and we lived together in Vitória. He is an amazing missionary. We worked super hard; I always learn a ton when I go out with one of my leaders.

..speaking of which, I traveled to São Mateus for the first time this week! São Mateus is another city that is part of our zone, so we went there to work with the missionaries. They were struggling a bit, but I think we helped them out. The area is really difficult there, though. I forgot a few things at home, though - a towel, a pillow, extra socks! Next time I will prepare better.

There was a crazy rainstorm on Sunday. We went to get all our investigators, but nobody went church with us :( Everybody was either sleeping or travelling at the last minute or simply didn't want to go out in the rain! It would not have been too bad, if President Young hadn't showed up at church with us... I was pretty embarrassed, but oh well. 

We worked really hard this week, and despite not having anyone go to church with us, I saw quite a few miracles. I know that Heavenly Father is blessing us immensly. I know that He watches over each and every one of us, and yearns for us to come unto Him. He is waiting with open arms. I know He lives, and loves us too!

boa semana

Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment