Tuesday, February 24, 2015

death of a chicken



This week something truly terribly happened. I don't want you to freak out, because I am okay, nothing happened to me! ..but I witnessed something pretty bad. A murder. ............................................................of a chicken. A bunch of dogs just teamed up and killed a chicken. After seeing what I saw, I might never be the same!

But on a real note, it was a slow week! On Sunday we were invited to be part of a mini Missionary Training Center for the youth of the Vitória Stake, and so we ended up with a group of about 10 youth, and taught them how to be missionaries. Well, we did the best we could with 45 minutes! But it was a great experience - it allowed me to ponder on all of the good things that have come into my life because of the mission, and explain them to others. Also Debora went! She is super excited about the gospel.

Also Jonas received the Aaronic Priesthood, and I think next week he will baptize one of our investigators! Pics will follow.

I got up early with my companion this week to go to the monte - the mount. Everybody in our area has been there at least once to pray - it's as if it was a sacred local getaway to speak with our Father in Heaven. Of course, we know that we can speak with Heavenyl Father anywhere! And so Elder Garcia and I went for the sole purpose of taking photos! 





Yesterday I was not feeling very good at all. I didnt know why. I felt as if I wasn't really in tune with my spirituality - as if I was missing something. I dont really know how to describe it. But I said a prayer, and asked Heavenly Father to help me feel better. 

And He answered, as always!

We went to the house of one of our new-ish investigators, Leo, just to check up and see how he was doing. We had asked him in our previous lesson to pray to God and ask for guidance on what he should do in his life, and he told us that he was still uneasy on the concept of prayer. So we taught a lesson on prayer, and the Spirit was super strong. It was easy to see them reflecting and hearing the voice of the Spirit, and scriptures would just pop into my head to address their concerns. It reminded me of a saying that one of my leaders here always says - "I searched for myself, and had no success. I searched for God, and didn't find Him either. I searched for my neighbor, and found all 3." Really and truly, when we are in the service of our fellowman, we are in the service of our God - and we are entitled to His presence and influence.

I am grateful that God speaks today - not just to me, but to all. I am grateful for the counsel of a great apostle: Doubt you doubts before you doubt your faith. I don't know everything, but I know that I am on the Lord's errand, representing His church and His Gospel to the world. I know that He loves us, and that we can repay His love" "If ye love me, keep my commandments."




uma boa semana pra todos!

Elder Eric Olsen





I know you don't want to hear--how hot it was this week. Okay, okay, if you really want to know, one day I went to the investigator's house and she said "are you embarrassed or something Elder? You don't need to be embarrassed here!" And I was like Irmã... I'm sorry but its just MY FACE and it's 1000 degrees outside! haha

Well this week was marked by... BATISMO! Our 13 year old investigator Guilherme was baptised on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday. And no we aren't Michael Jackson missionaries (lol), he understood the doctrine better than a few adults I have baptised. In fact, we had a cool experience. We went to his house every day, and he was always so excited about the messages and baptism but this week not at all. And we were so frustrated, we just said to him DUDE WHY ARENT YOU EXCITED and eventually figured out that he was worried about keeping the commandments after baptism, and he said that he didn't want to be baptised. 
So we told him to just pray about it that night, listen for an answer and be sincere with himself, and that we would come back the next day. Honestly, I had very little faith that it would work out, but we fasted for him. And when we went back, we asked him if he prayed and he had, we asked him if he received a response and he had, and it was that he should! SO fasting really works, because against all odds he was touched by the Holy Ghost. I LOVE having testimony builders like that.






Also YES I got Grandma and Grandpa's box. It was a fine day, I was in a good mood, and then I got the box. So I decided to leave it for the next day, then I would maybe not be as happy and could cheer myself up. The next day I was still happy, but decided to open it anyway. And what did it have... JERKY!! And I decided to leave it and eat it later, when I wasn't as happy, but I continued happy, so I just decided to eat it. And now, in less than a week, I have already eaten all of it. Haha my Chilean roommate loved it.

BUT that's pretty much all I guess. OH I wanted to say that what Eric said about when you serve others you gain a lot. I have been really self centered, not that scripture study is bad, but focused on having a better spirit and everything by studying and praying a ton, but in the end the best way to have the spirit with us is serving others and thinking about others. "Forget yourself and go to work!"

Love you guys! thanks for the support and love and prayers.

Love,
Elder Nicholas Don Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment