Wednesday, February 18, 2015

1 year in Brazil!



I have officially been out of the good ol' USA for a year. I can't say that I don't miss peanut butter, or cheesecake, but I have grown to love goiabada, feijoada, and learned to make rice wayyyy quicker than anyone in the US! I love being here.

On Sunday we had a baptism! Of Jonas, our golden investigator. Well, he is golden in every sense except that he is having a had time getting his family to come to church with him. But he was super excited to be baptized, and is also super excited to receive the Holy Ghost this Sunday. He is reading th eBook of Mormon, keeping the work of wisdom, and in every way worthy and prepared for his confirmation. And President and Sister Young went to the baptism!





Unfortunately we haven't left the office hardly at all this week. One day we were here until midnight! But we are teaching a few people that are interested, so we will see who goes to church on Sunday.

This week there were a few zone conferences, and we had to go so that I could give a training about references. It was kind of weird to train the whole zone, but it worked out well.

This week I witnessed a MIRACLE of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We were walking in the street, and Deborah, our recent convert, called us over. She was going to church! On a Friday night! And she was dressed modestly, AND she was with a less active member that was crying. Deborah was consoling her, telling her everything would be okay. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but in the very moment, the scripture Mosiah 18 came into my head: the baptismal covenant. That we will mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. What a fulfillment of that promise.

Also we taught an alcoholic, and to help him stop drinking we took his little bottle of who-knows-what-kind-of-alcohol! haha!

And I cut my hair.

That's my week! I am so grateful to be a missionary, and for the opportunity that the Lord gave me to be able to be an example and teacher for those that are in need. I am grateful to serve my Master, Jesus Christ. I don't have a doubt that He lives, and is watching over us. I don't have a doubt, just as Mormon, that if we ask in faith, nothing doubting, He will bless us according to our righteous desires.

Elder Olsen



Dear family,

Well I guess I didn't explain very well how it is here with the changes, so let me explain:

Now I am Sec. Financeiro Líder de Distrito, so apart from having to deal with all the complainy missionaries (haha jk... kinda) I now follow up with a district too! With 5 duplas!!! SOOOO I guess you could say it's a bit more work and I miss falling into bed as soon as planning is over, but it's another opportunity to serve and I'm grateful for it.

As for my area, dad, I don't even think there is a dirt road in any part of it! I live really close to the Lago das Rosas, if you wanna look that up, which is basically right in the middle of Goiânia. It's in the same area as the office and the church is close, so it's great. The only difficult thing is that there are a lot of closed condominiums and rich people, so the work has been a little bit slow. BUT we are doing our best to find the people that are prepared by the Lord.

Also big news... I'M LEAVING THE OFFICE!!! JÁ!!! President told us that at the end of this transfer (there are still 4 more weeks) I will be heading out to who knows where to work in the field again. That will be  quite a change, especially because I've gotten used to being white and in air conditioning, but it'll be great. Yeah speaking of white, anyone who is complaining about it being cold count your blessings! I got sunburned for the first time in a long time this saturday, and it was HORRIBLE.  Our investigator kept being like "are you embarressed? What happened?" and finally I realized and I was like "no irmã... its just my face..." haha. 

Well... unfortunately I don't have much else to share. And also unfortunately I didn't have much time to take pics this week. But next week I promise I'll have some!

But I love you guys, I'm thankful for all of you in my life and I'm thankful for this gospel that has given shape and meaning to my life.

Love,
Elder Nicholas Olsen


No comments:

Post a Comment