Tuesday, October 14, 2014

October 14 2014

Dear family,


Mom and Dad, what luck for you two to be able to visit Phil and the ol' "stompin grounds". Did you cry, haha? I never told anyone this but when Eric and I drove away from Tallahassee for good I may have shed a tear! Phil is down in the south all the time, I wonder if he appreciates it like he should! haha

Well well, it was quite a week for me. First of all mom, could you please send me a little oil container thing for my bday? because I am in need. This week was full of a lot of walking, quite a bit of teaching the restored gospel, but not a lot of success, and not a lot of people wanting to go to church or read the Book of Mormon or change anything in their lives. Sometimes it gets discouraging, BUT I was reading today in a talk by Elder Holland that he quoted this part of Hebrews: 

 35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
 36 For ye have need of patiencethat, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
 37 For yet little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
 38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw backmy soul shall have no pleasure in him.
 I thought this was interesting. We have to remember the confidence we have always had in the face of trials. He said that Satan will always keep trying, if he can find a chink in your armor he will use it, and if not he will try to create one. But we can have confidence in that which we have already known in our past.

I always pray for you. It's good to hear that sometimes you remember Eric and me and take confidence or feel comforted knowing that we are here. I am trying my best to do what is right and merit blessings for myself and for our family. (haha i feel like some of my past comps that have given testimony about how they want to work hard... THATS NOT A TESTIMONY!!) 

Sorry that I dont have more to say! I will say this: the mangos on the trees are almost ripe! haha love you all

Love,
Elder Nicholas Olsen

A flamboyant tree.


Eating ice cream with our Haitian investigator.





Querida Família,

I would like to start out by saying that I ate chili this week, and it was super super good. I realized that it is just beans with meat, because I eat beans every day, but it was still REALLY good! 

I went on splits with Elder Mason this week. It was a little nervewracking - the Elder who trained me, and taught me everything - but I was in charge! And, of course, everything fell through! But it was a good experience. I think God is working really hard to make me feel humble - because I ALWAYS feel pretty humble and in need of more spirituality and knowledge.

The week was really good! We found a lot of people that seem willing and ready to change their lives! The only thing they don't want to change is that nobody wants to wake up early Sunday morning for church!! But its all good. Part of the job!

Working in the city is not what you would think - it is just like any other place. The only difference is that there are skyscrapers that you have to pass in order to get to the houses. And it is a little cooler, because its on the coast!

Yesterday night, we had the best lesson of my mission! Actually, maybe not the best,... but its in the top 10, for sure. Probably top 5. We taught this family about baptism, and the Spirit was SO STRONG I cant even describe it. It was really the answer to a lot of prayers, because I always ask that we can have the Spirit to be with us and testify of what we say. 

What can I say, it was a long week. We even tried to help a woman stop drinking - and she drinks all day every day... I think we bmade a bit of progress! President Packer said that the study of gospel principles makes a bigger difference in behavior than a study of behavior! Honestly, the doctrines on the restored gospel bring us more happiness than anything else.

I love you all, and I hope that you are gearing up for Christmas! We are already listening to Christmas music here. I just love to celebrate the fact that Christ came :)

muito amor,

Elder E Olsen

                                                                                   Vitória


No comments:

Post a Comment