Thursday, January 15, 2015

2015! ...week 2!

So I heard that it is a tradition that the second week of the year, you have to do something that gets you sent to the hospital - is that true? If it is, then we fulfilled it! One of my old companions, Elder Branco, had kidney stones, and we had to take him to the hospital for surgery. It was funny, because we found out at 4:00 Thursday that we had to pay R$6,000 for his surgery - in CASH- by 5:30.... yikes. So President, my companion and I drove around to every bank we could find to take out all the money possible. If I didn't know, I would have thought that we were the mafia! But we got the money, and the surgery went well, and está tudo bem!

We had a baptism this past Sunday! Deborah, who is the daughter of another woman that was baptized a little while ago, decided to follow Christ. And since Sunday, she has gone out with the church youth group almost every night this week! We asked her if she is liking the church, and she said - I am LOVING it! When people accept the Savior into their lives and work to become better, they become happier. It's a fact.

I hadnt realized, but it had been a long time since I had taught the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ - this week we were blessed with the opportunity to teach it. Sometimes, when we are away form a good thing for a long time, we forget how good it is. I had forgotten how sweet it was to remember the simple truths of the Restoration - the Spirit was really strong when my companion recited Joseph Smith's First Vision:


 saw pillar of light exactly over myhead, above the brightness of the sunwhich descended graduallyuntil it fell upon me.
When the light rested upon me sawtwo Personageswhose brightness and glory defy all description,standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, callingme by name and said, pointing to the other—This is MyBeloved SonHear Him!
Wow, the Church really is true! Sometimes we just need a reminder.

Also WOW there are so many cool things I want to share!This week I realized the importance of parents teaching their children the gospel. I was thinking about my favorite chapters of scripture, and saw that some of my favorites - from Alma 36 to Alma 42 - are all letters and counsels from a father to a son. Some of the most powerful testimonies and teaching are from parents to children - shout out to Stan and Jen! I hope I can teach my children one day in the same way that you both taught me.

That's about it! I know that God lives, that He will send angels before our face if we let Him, and that if we keep the commandments, we will be blessed. It simply is the truth. 

Much love,

Elder E Olsen





Enjoy the cold!!! ENJOY IT! It is a nippy 400 billion here in Goiânia, just about the temperature that makes you wanna proselyte without pants. Fortunately we have a dress code so nobody is doing that. 

Well this is sooo crazy.... Eric went to the hospital for kidney stones and so did I!!

Well it wasn't for me, thank goodness. Yesterday morning Elder Silva was having a really bad pain in the back, so we headed off for the hospital. Admitted into the emergency room 8:30, but I had to wait outside. About 10 I asked what was going on, they said he was taking medicine in the vein and that it would take about another 40 minutes... An hour later, I asked what was happening and he was doing tests, another hour later he was also doing tests... long story short, after about 10 hours split between trying to sleep and going to buy overpriced snacks, he was taken in for the night. So I went home, took a shower, and headed back to spend the night on a harder-than-I-would-like couch with broken air conditioning. BUT with all that I am still so grateful to God... that it wasn't me!! Haha, and ps Elder Silva is fine now.

ANYWAY this week we have had a challenge given us from the President: Read the Book of Mormon for 15 minutes each day, highlighting the places where it talks about the Savior. Wow. I can't even believe how much it talks about Him! By the end of this my entire Book of Mormon will be marked up! Also I have been reading the book he gave me as a birthday present, which is also about the Book of Mormon, and how we can apply it in our lives. I have just been able to strengthen my testimony a lot about the BOM!

I had an experience a lot like that of Eric this week as well, in that I was able to go out a few times (after staying inside a while with Elder Silva because of his foot probs) and just teach and do normal missionary things. It still gives me a little bit of fear, but how great it is to be able to share this message with everyone. When you share it, you know it's true. "More testimonies are gained on the feet than on the knees."

But thats pretty much my life! Thank you for everything you do for me, the love and the prayers. And thanks Eric for the sweet package.

Love you all!

Love,

Elder Nicholas Olsen


No comments:

Post a Comment